Day of Fasting & Prayer
June 25 is a day of fasting and prayer at Compassion International. We’re fasting and praying for the children we sponsor, for their families, for Compassion’s local staff and church partners in the developing world. We’re fasting and praying because the Global Food Crisis is devastating many of their lives.
The price for rice, beans, corn and other food staples throughout the world has risen exponentially in recent months, creating extreme hardship and suffering for families living on $1 or $2 a day.
The Global Food Crisis is affecting everyone in some way. But how it affects us here in the U.S. is totally different than how it affects my sponsored children, Mediatrix and PhaPhama and so much many others like them. It’s much more intimate for these children and their families.
I don’t have to tell you that the price of gas in the U.S. is ridiculous and the price tag on a gallon of milk and a loaf of bread is unreal. I’m usually oblivious to grocery prices, but seeing $3.50 for a loaf of bread that used to be $1.50 got my attention.
My loaf of bread is more than two days salary for many families. Think about that for a moment… two days salary just to buy bread!
Food prices have risen as much as 100 percent in some countries since 2006. Many of the countries Compassion serves are among those that have been hit hardest by rising food prices. The current global food crisis is being called a “silent tsunami” that could plunge an additional 100 million people on every continent into hunger.
100 million people…
That’s a lot of stats to take in… but each number represents a life, as real as as you and I. By now, I hope you are asking yourself, “what can I do to help fight the global food crisis?”
1) Join Compassion’s Day of Prayer and Fasting on June 25.
This is the day we will honor the victims of the global food crisis and pray for them. If you’re “in” for the Day of Prayer & Fasting… add your name to the growing list in my sidebar and let me know in the comment section of this post. And hey, spread the word!
2) Give to Compassion’s Global Food Crisis Fund.
Your gift will help provide:
* food vouchers to children and families needing immediate relief.
* seeds & agricultural tools so that families can grow their own food as well as earn extra income.
* supplemental nutrition services offered at Compassion-assisted centers around the world.
* your gift of $13 can feed a child for about one month.
* your gift of $78 can feed a family of six for one month.
* your gift of $520 can feed 40 children for about one month.
* your gift of $3,250 can feed 250 children (an entire child development center) for one month!