Surgery Update

Typing isn’t the easiest thing to do right now, so I am going to try and keep this brief. Hope that’s okay. Pardon typos—I’m not gonna proofread.

First of all, having surgery the day before Halloween is just plain weird. Case in point—this was my anesthesiologist. Surgery went beautifully though. And it went quick! And not just because I was on drugs. From the moment I went into the OR to the time I get into recovery, was less than 30 minutes. The recovery nurses said I came into the recovery room laughing… and I remember this because I found it so amazing that the surgery was already over. Cause to me, it seemed like it hadn’t even started. I had to actually reach for my incision area to believe it was really over. Ha! But I will say that the incision is larger than I was expecting (a good 2 inches long).
They gave me a darvocet before leaving the hospital and a prescription script. I wasn’t tired when I got home so I ate some soup and chatted with my sister-in-law for a while (she came by to take care of me). After a little while I began to get a headache so I decided to take a nap. After about 4 hours, I awoke still with a headache but not in any pain at all (to my surprise). It was time to take another darvocet and eat dinner, so I did. About an hour or so later I got incredibly nauseous and developed a severe headache. So severe I had to lay down and try to sleep.
To understand the severity of my nausea and the intensity of the headache, we were all worried I was going to vomit. Doing so would have been incredibly dangerous, as my incision is put together nothing more than dermabond and steri-strips. A pull like heaving would have opened me up. Sorry for the TMI. So, I laid there with my mom and whoever was awake to see my request on Twitter/Facebook praying over me. Thankfully I was able to take some Excedrin Migraine and it worked. It relieved my headache and calmed my nausea enough to finally fall asleep.
Turns out, I am allergic to darvocet and I will not be taking anymore of it. Good to know if I ever have another need for pain medication in the future.
I woke up this morning without a headache and with no more nausea. Hallelujah. It was one thing to be uncomfortable post-surgery, but it was something else entirely to be so sick from a medication that was supposed to be helping me. So, today was a good day, but not without pain from the surgery. Been doing the whole ice on/ice off regimen with a little ibuprofen and I am doing pretty well. We’ll see how I am tomorrow. I can’t shower or change my dressing until Sunday night. I am hoping to be doing well enough to go to work on Monday, but I am not going to rush it.
Oops, that wasn’t brief after all. And with that, I am going to call it a night.
Thank you for your prayers!


  1. jennifer

    i am glad you are feeling better. there is nothing worse than a bad headache.

Leave a Reply